Please be aware that ArcGIS Desktop software can only be an overview of options for running Windows on your Mac and take care of this. Windows installed (i.e. 32 or 64 bit), as long as there are different versions (32 or file, i.e. the basic program, such as ArcGISDesktop or ArcGIS Pro. To run ArcGIS Pro in Windows installed natively with Boot Camp, you need your ArcGIS Pro installation files and a Windows installation DVD or disc image .iso).
Install GIS Software
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 or later must be installed prior to installing ArcMap.
ArcGIS Desktop requires Microsoft Visual C++ 2015–2019 Redistributable (x86) minimum version 14.22.27821, ArcGIS Pro 10.8 For Mac & Windows Archives. Obtain the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015–2019 file from the Microsoft site. If the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015–2019 Redistributable (x86) is not already installed, ArcGIS Pro 10.8 For Mac & Windows Archives, running setup.exe will install it before setup.msi is launched. Setup.msi will not install if Microsoft Microsoft Visual C++ 2015–2019 Redistributable (x86) is not already installed.
|Supported operating systems *||Latest update or service pack tested|
Windows 10 Home, Pro and Enterprise (64 bit [EM64T])
June 2020 Updates
Windows 8.1 Basic, Pro, and Enterprise (32 bit and 64 bit [EM64T])
June 2020 Updates
Windows Server 2019 Standard and Datacenter
June 2020 Updates
Windows Server 2016 Standard and Datacenter
June 2020 Updates
Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard and Datacenter
June 2020 Updates
Windows Server 2012 Standard and Datacenter
June 2020 Updates
* See Operating system requirements and limitations for additional requirements and information.
ArcGIS products will not be supported on Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 after ArcGIS Pro 10.8 For Mac & Windows Archives 2020, due to Microsoft’s extended support for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 ending on January 14, 2020. Esri highly recommends you plan to move to a later version of Windows, well before the January 14, 2020 date.
ArcMap is supported in various on-premises and cloud environments.
|On-premises virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI)||Notes|
|Citrix XenDesktop 7.15 LTSR||Use the latest Citrix and NVIDIA drivers. Refer to the Citrix and NVIDIA websites for the most current driver versions.|
|Citrix Virtual Apps and Virtual Desktops 1912 LTSR|
|Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016||Microsoft VDI certified with RemoteFX vGPU Windows Device Driver Model (WDDM) 1.2.|
|Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2019|
|VMware vSphere/ESXi 6.5|
Use VMware Horizon 7.0.3 and later only.
Use the latest VMware and NVIDIA drivers. Refer to the VMware and NVIDIA websites for the most current driver versions.
|VMware vSphere/ESXi 6.7|
|On-premises application streaming and virtualizing|
|Citrix XenApp 7.15 LTSR||Windows Server 2016|
|Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops 1912 LTSR||Windows Server 2016|
Amazon WorkSpaces Graphics Bundle
ArcGIS works well in Amazon WorkSpaces and Azure instances that have:
Azure N-Series VMs
|Supported and Recommended|
2.2 GHz minimum; Hyper-threading (HHT) or Multi-core recommended
x86 or x64 with SSE2 extensions
Minimum: 4 GB
Recommended: 8 GB or higher
ArcGlobe may require 8 GB minimum when used.
|24-bit color depth|
Also see Video/Graphics adapter requirements below.*
Screen ArcGIS Pro 10.8 For Mac & Windows Archives
1024x768 recommended minimum at normal size (96 dpi)
Minimum: 4 GB
Recommended: 6 GB or higher
ArcGlobe creates cache files when used. If using ArcGlobe, additional disk space may be required.
64 MB RAM minimum; 256 MB RAM or higher recommended. NVIDIA, AMD, and Intel chipsets supported.
24-bit capable graphics accelerator
OpenGL version 2.0 runtime minimum is required, and Shader Model 3.0 or higher is recommended.
Be sure to use the latest available drivers.
ArcGIS requires Python 2.7.18 and Numerical Python 1.9.3 to be installed. If the ArcGIS setup does not find either Python 2.7.18 or Numerical Python (NumPy) 1.9.3 installed on the target computer, Python 2.7.18 and Numerical Python 1.9.3 will be installed during a complete installation.
Microsoft .NET Framework requirement
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 or higher must be installed prior to installing ArcMap.
ArcMap supports printing to any Microsoft certified Windows printer using the native driver in ArcGIS. Note that some printer drivers do not support complex maps, and the ArcPress printer driver or additional hardware may be needed for these complex maps.
The following configuration is recommended when printing large maps with the ArcPress printer drivers:
- If large complex maps do not print, ArcGIS Pro 10.8 For Mac & Windows Archives, reboot the computer to ensure the pagefile system is cleared. If the pagefile system is not a dedicated drive or partition, make sure the drive does not need to be defragmented.
- Disk Space: At least 10 GB of free space is required on the drive where %TEMP% is located, ArcGIS Pro 10.8 For Mac & Windows Archives, as potentially large temporary files will be written there while ArcPress is processing a map for printing.
For more information on supported printers, refer to the following Knowledge Base FAQ: What printers are supported by ArcGIS Desktop?
Software required to connect to a DBMS
Your client machine (for example, the one running ArcGIS Pro, ArcMap, or ArcGIS Server) must have the appropriate database client files installed for the RDBMS you are using. These client files are available from their respective RDBMS vendors. See Database clients for more information.
At the ArcGIS Desktop 10.5 release, Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) Compatibility is no longer included. The VBA Compatibility setup in prior versions can still be installed, but its usage is not supported and may result in software errors or crashes. It is recommended that existing Microsoft VBA users continue to use ArcGIS Desktop 10.2.2 or earlier, or migrate VBA customizations to ArcMap add-ins, ArcPy scripts, or ArcGIS Pro add-ins built with the Pro SDK for .NET
Software version requirements
When you install ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Engine clients on the same machine as ArcGIS Server, the ArcGIS clients must be at the same software version as ArcGIS Server. Therefore, if you upgrade ArcGIS Server to 10.9 or beyond, you must move ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Engine clients to another machine.
Operating system requirements and limitations
Download ArcGIS Pro
You can download ArcGIS Pro either from My Esri or your ArcGIS Online organization.
By default, the English-language version of the application is downloaded. Optionally, you can run ArcGIS Pro in a different language by downloading a language pack. There are two ways to do this:
- Download a localized version of ArcGIS Pro.
- Download ArcGIS Pro and download a language pack separately.
A localized version bundles ArcGIS Pro and a language pack in one executable (.exe) file.
Other software components—such as the offline help application, additional language packs, and specialized data and database support files—must be downloaded from My Esri.
Once the application is downloaded, you can install ArcGIS Pro. If you download a localized version or a language pack, see Install a localized version of ArcGIS Pro for additional information.
Download ArcGIS Pro from My Esri
Follow these steps to download ArcGIS Pro and other software components from My Esri. For supplementary help, see How To: Download and install Esri software from My Esri.
- Go to My Esri.
- Click the My Organizations tab and click the Downloads tab under it.
If there is no Downloads tab, it means that you are not authorized to download the software. Click the Request Permissions side tab. You can complete a form to request download permission from your software administrator, ArcGIS Pro 10.8 For Mac & Windows Archives, or you can click the Contact My Administrator button to send a direct message.
- In the list of available products, next to ArcGIS Pro 10.8 For Mac & Windows Archives Pro, confirm that the version number (for example, 2.9) is correct. Click View Downloads.
If you have not previously agreed to the terms and conditions of the master agreement, a pop-up window appears. After reviewing the terms and conditions, check the box and click Accept if you want to continue.
- Under Download, review the Language setting. If you want to download a localized version of ArcGIS Pro, change the setting to ArcGIS Pro 10.8 For Mac & Windows Archives language you want.
- In the list of product components, under Files, next to ArcGIS Pro, click Download.
An executable file (.exe) is ArcGIS Pro 10.8 For Mac & Windows Archives to your computer.
- Optionally, download other product components, such as offline help or language packs.
Each component is downloaded to your computer as an executable file.
To download components in a language other than English, change your Language setting under Download. Many components are available only in English.
Download ArcGIS Pro from ArcGIS Online
Follow these steps to download ArcGIS Pro from ArcGIS Online. Optionally, you can download a localized version.
Software download policies differ among organizations. ArcGIS Online administrators can make a security setting to prevent members from downloading ArcGIS Pro on their own.
- Sign in to your ArcGIS Online organization.
- At the top of the page, click your user name and click My settings.
- On the My settings page, click the Licenses tab.
Your user type, role, and assigned licenses are listed. If you don't see ArcGIS Pro listed under your licensed products, or if the Download button does not appear, contact your ArcGIS organization administrator.
- Next to ArcGIS Pro, click Download.
- In the Download window, review the Language setting. If you want to download a localized version of ArcGIS Pro, change the setting to the language you want.
- Click Download.
An executable file (.exe) is downloaded to your computer.
Feedback on this topic?
ArcGIS Pro is the new ArcMap: As Dave Ramsey likes to say "The paid-off home mortgage is taking the place of the BMW as the status symbol of choice", in the case of GIS software, ArcGIS Pro is taking the place of ArcMap as the desktop software of choice. Yes, they can both read shapefiles and geodatabases but there is some additional functionality with the newer Pro version. Below I have summarized my top 5 differences between these two Windows-based GIS software packages both created by Esri.
1. Editing feature services: ArcGIS Pro has the ability to edit feature services on the fly. ArcMap would allow you to view these services in a 'read-only' format, however, with Pro you can actually pull in these layers and edit them in real time (assuming editing privileges are enabled). This can be really handy when making minor updates to layers hosted in a web map (ArcGIS Online or Arc Enterprise).
2. No more MXD's: ArcMap uses a *.mxd file extension, similar to CAD's *.dwg format, however Pro uses an *.aprx format which allows users to have multiple maps within the same project. This concept takes some getting used to but makes a lot of sense when looking at it from a project basis.
3. The Ribbon feel: Remember when Microsoft Office made the switch to the 'ribbon' look with their menu items at the top of the page? Well ArcGIS Pro clearly has the same 'ribbon' look and feel which can definitely appeal to the MS Office crowd of users.
ArcGIS Software and Online Resources
Get ArcGIS software
ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap)
ArcGIS Online & Esri Training
GIS workstations: remote access
Which GIS software should I choose?
Help with ArcGIS software installation
Troubleshooting ArcGIS Desktop installation
ArcGIS Desktop FAQ
Some common issues when using ArcGIS Desktop
Esri provides Geographic Information System (GIS) software for visualizing, managing, creating, analyzing and organizing geographic ArcGIS Pro 10.8 For Mac & Windows Archives. ArcGIS permits the understanding and visualization of the geographic context of data, allowing for the identification of relationships and patterns.
Licenses for the ArcGIS Desktop Student Edition and ArcGIS Pro software are provided exclusively for educational, research, and academic purposes and are available for use by:
- Faculty and staff at Carleton University on university-owned computers and;
- Carleton University students on their personal computers.
The site license prohibits anyone from using the software package for the pursuit of any profit-making or income-generating venture.
There is no cost associated with the Esri ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Pro software as it is provided as a common good by the MacOdrum Library which holds the site license for the software.
Prior to downloading and installing a copy of the software on your personal computer you should ensure that your computer meets the necessary minimum requirements:
ArcGIS Education Edition Software for students includes ArcGIS Desktop Advanced Software and the following extensions:
- ArcGIS 3D Analyst
- ArcGIS Geostatistical Analyst
- ArcGIS Data Interoperability (*separate download)
- ArcGIS Data Reviewer
- ArcGIS Network Analyst
- ArcGIS Schematics
- ArcGIS Spatial Analyst
- ArcGIS Tracking Analyst
- ArcGIS Publisher
- ArcGIS Workflow Manager
Note: ArcGIS Desktop only runs on the Windows Operating System. Mac users will need to run Windows either through Bootcamp or within a virtual environment (such as VirtualBox or VMWare Fusion).
- ArcGIS is a Windows-based product.
- You can only request ONE software license annually.
- Software licenses will need to be annually renewed.
- The single-use license can only be authorized on one computer.
- Installing and authorizing ArcGIS Desktop is a process that may take a few hours to complete.
How to install ArcGIS Desktop or Pro on a Mac computer
To run ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Pro on an Apple Macintosh computer, the Mac must be set up to run Windows. There are severals ways to do this, but they require one of two installation options.
Option One: Create a dual-boot setup on your Mac, which allows you to boot into either Mac OS or Windows OS. The typical method for this is to use the free software BootCamp.
Using BootCamp: http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/
Option Two: Create a virtual machine on your Mac, which allows you to run an installation of Windows OS in parallel with your existing Mac OS, and to switch from one to the other without booting into either one separately, ArcGIS Pro 10.8 For Mac & Windows Archives. Typical choices for the virtualization option are the licensed software Parallels or VMware.
Using Parallels: http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/
Using VMware: http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/
ESRI has more information on these options here. When configuring Windows with any of these options, it is important the configuration meets the minimum system requirements for installing ArcGIS Pro.
Keep in mind that ESRI does NOT support ArcGIS for Mac, and that you can only use ArcGIS within one of the Windows OS installation options described above. For more information from Esri, see https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/get-started/run-pro-on-a-mac.htm, ArcGIS Pro 10.8 For Mac & Windows Archives.
Decision tree for installing ArcGIS Pro on Mac computers (by Jill Kelly).
Notice: Undefined variable: z_bot in /sites/arenaqq.us/graphic/arcgis-pro-108-for-mac-windows-archives.php on line 99
Notice: Undefined variable: z_empty in /sites/arenaqq.us/graphic/arcgis-pro-108-for-mac-windows-archives.php on line 99